Eyelid Surgery (blepharoplasty)
Of all your facial features, none has such power to convey your individuality, emotions and youthfulness as your eyes. The eyes, however, are often the first to show signs of aging. When eyelids become puffy, start to sag, or are wrinkled, they can make you look tired and older. Eyelid surgery, or an eyelid lift, also known as blepharoplasty, is a procedure that can help you look more rested, energetic, and rejuvenated.
What you need to know
- An eyelid surgery procedure blepharoplasty can be performed on the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both. The procedure can take 1-3 hours to perform depending on which areas are being addressed. Upper eyelid procedures are performed in the office under local anesthesia without the need for IV sedation or general anesthesia, while lower eyelid procedures are generally performed in the operating room with IV sedation or general anesthesia.
- Immediate swelling, and bruising are common after the procedure and will improve over the first 1-2 weeks. Some mild amounts of swelling will take about 4-6 months to fully resolve. We recommend applying ice packs throughout the first 5-7 days to help these issues resolve more quickly.
- You will want 2 weeks to recover from this procedure. You may engage work remotely during this time, but we will ask you to refrain from exercise or any exertional activity for this period of 2 weeks after the procedure.
- Incisions in the upper eyelid, or below the lashes in the lower eyelid will have some mild redness for 2-3 months after the procedure, and should ultimately heal as well camouflaged scars.
- Results of your surgical procedure should last 5-10 years (or more) for the upper eyelid, and even more permanently for the lower eyelid depending on your body’s unique response to the procedure. A blepharoplasty can be performed simultaneously with other facial cosmetic procedures, such as a midface lift, a brow lift, facelift, or rhinoplasty to restore facial balance, and provide a natural rejuvenation.
Before and After Photographs